Forum

D Kevin Gravel and F Michael December 06, 2018 2:02 AM

By : dan

Injuries and rehabilitations have forced the Anaheim Ducks to insert several rookies into their lineup during the first week of the season [url=http://www.officialsenators.com/authentic-adidas-matt-duchene-jersey]Youth Matt Duchene Jersey[/url] , but they’re off to one of their best starts in franchise history heading into their fourth game Wednesday night against the visiting Arizona Coyotes at Honda Center.The Ducks (3-0-0) have already defeated the Coyotes this season, getting outshot 41-20 in Phoenix on Saturday night but holding on for a 1-0 victory behind exceptional play from goaltender John Gibson, who has saved 91 of 95 shots this season (.958).“He’s been our MVP for the three games,” Ducks coach Randy Carlyle said after Gibson made 19 saves in a 3-2 shootout win over the visiting Detroit Red Wings on Monday night. “You don’t have a starting point in the NHL if you don’t have goaltending.”Article continues below ...The Coyotes (0-2-0) are still looking for their first goal of the season after losing 3-0 at the Dallas Stars in their season opener on Thursday and then getting blanked by Anaheim.Arizona coach Rick Tocchet told reporters after practice Tuesday that his team needs to quit taking shortcuts during practice. He cited an example of players not following up their shots and pursuing rebounds.“As a player, when you do drills, finish the drill,” he said. “If you do the right things, good things will happen. I’m a big believer, if you’re taking shortcuts [url=http://www.officialsenators.com/authentic-adidas-mike-condon-jersey]Mike Condon Jersey[/url] , then it’s hard to get out of a slump.”Arizona was the second lowest scoring team in the NHL last season at 2.51 goals per game. The Coyotes traded center Max Domi to the Montreal Canadiens in June for center Alex Galchenyuk, the No. 3 overall draft pick in 2012.Galchenyuk sustained a lower-body injury late last month and isn’t expected to be in uniform against Anaheim. Domi, a top-three point producer for Arizona the past three seasons, already has three assists in his first two games with Montreal. Coyotes forwards Derek Stepan and Richard Panik found room to shoot against the Ducks last weekend. Stepan had nine shots on goal and Panik had seven, but neither could get one past Gibson.“We can get a better will to get to the net,” Tocchet said. “We’re getting pushed to the side a little bit. I think we’re passing up some shots, even though we’re getting some shots.”Max Comtois is one of the five rookie forwards that the Ducks started against the Red Wings on Monday. He had an assist to give him a point in each of his first three NHL games.The only other rookie in franchise history to accomplish that feat was Corey Perry in 2005-06.“This is baptism by fire for young players,” Carlyle said. “We have our ample share of them in the lineup, but these are situations [url=http://www.officialsenators.com/authentic-adidas-ryan-dzingel-jersey]Ryan Dzingel Jersey[/url] , hopefully, where they can grow and get more confidence.“Hats off to them. We put them in situations, historically, they would play in lower levels. This is the best league in the world. They were in there and survived, so hopefully they feel good about themselves.”Jakob Silfverberg is also off to a hot start for the Ducks. He has five points (one goal, four assists), becoming the first Anaheim player with five points in the first three games since Perry, Ryan Getzlaf and Ryan Kesler in 2014. PITTSBURGH (AP) Pittsburgh Penguins‘ rookie forward Zach Aston-Reese didn’t know he scored the eventual game-winning goal until he was on the bench.Aston-Reese broke a third-period tie with a power-play goal and the Penguins beat the Los Angeles Kings 3-1 on Thursday night for their 10th straight home victory.Two nights after scoring his first two NHL goals, Aston-Reese gave the Penguins the lead at 5:24 of the period with his first power-play goal. Kris Letang’s point shot through traffic clipped Aston-Reese’s skate and went between goalie Jonathan Quick’s pads.Article continues below ...”I heard my name (announced) and I was surprised [url=http://www.officialsenators.com/authentic-adidas-tom-pyatt-jersey]Womens Tom Pyatt Jersey[/url] ,” Aston-Reese said. ”I didn’t even realize it had gone off my foot. My eyes widened and I just looked at (Letang) on the bench. I wasn’t really expecting that.”The Penguins’ home streak is the longest since a franchise-record 13-game run during the 2013-14 season. The Penguins haven’t lost in Pittsburgh since Jan. 4, a 4-0 setback to Carolina. Pittsburgh has won eight of 10 overall and 13 of 17.Ryan Reaves scored in the second period, and Evgeni Malkin added an empty-netter. Matt Murray, playing his 100th NHL game, stopped 34 shots. Murray is in sole possession of first place for the most wins in his first 100 games among goalies to debut since 2005-06. He is unbeaten in regulation in his last eight decisions and won his last six at home.”I think Matt’s really been locked in the last half dozen games he’s been in the net,” Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said. ”An indication that Matt’s on top of his game is he tends to make the difficult plays look easy. I can see it from the bench, the comfort level he has in there.”Dion Phaneuf scored a power-play goal in his Kings debut. Phaneuf and forward Nate Thompson were traded from Ottawa to the Kings for Marian Gaborik and Nick Shore during the Senators‘ 6-3 loss to Pittsburgh on Tuesday night.Immigration issues nearly kept Phaneuf from making his Kings’ debut. If his immigration paperwork didn’t go through in time, Phaneuf wouldn’t have been eligible to play. He skated on a fourth defense pair during the morning skate.”The odds were that the immigration stuff wasn’t going to go through, was what I was told [url=http://www.officialblues.com/authentic-adidas-jordan-nolan-jersey]Jordan Nolan Jersey Womens[/url] ,” Phaneuf said. ”I’m very fortunate that they were able to get the paperwork done and when I found out, I was pretty excited about the opportunity to play my first game for this organization.”Quick made 36 saves for the Kings, who have lost three straight games.Reaves opened the scoring at 6:06 of the second period with a blocker-side wrist shot from the top of the circle. Reaves said he was inspired by a meeting earlier in the day with Willie O’Ree, the first African-American player in the National Hockey League.O’Ree was in attendance Thursday and visited the Penguins after the team’s morning skate where Reaves caught up with him.”I can’t promise goals, but I (told O’Ree) I was going to have a good game for him, and hopefully get him one, and I did,” said Reaves, who is black. ”With Willie O’Ree in the house [url=http://www.officialsenators.com/authentic-adidas-zack-smith-jersey]Zack Smith Jersey[/url] , it was pretty special. He’s a pioneer for players like me and it was nice to get him one.”NOTES: Sidney Crosby has a 10-game home point streak, while Malkin has points in six straight at home. … Penguins F Patric Hornqvist, who missed his sixth game with a lower-body injury, was on the ice before Thursday’s morning skate. … Thompson missed the previous four games with the Senators because of a lower-body injury. Pittsburgh scratched D Chad Ruhwedel, D Matt Hunwick and F Teddy Blueger. Los Angeles sat D Paul LaDue, D Kevin Gravel and F Michael Mersch.UP NEXTKings: At Buffalo on Saturday night.Penguins: Host Toronto on Saturday night.

To post a comment please register or sign in